Saturday, April 19, 2008

Oh say can you see

Dear Scold,

Ever since I was a little kid I've dreamed of becoming a famous photographer. I've spent thousands of dollars on gear and I practice with it every day. The problem is that no one likes my work and none of the studios where I've applied for a job as an assistant will hire me. I think I'm being descriminated against because I"m blind (was born with macular degeneration and have practically no usable vision left).

All I want to do is follow my dreams!

Upset in Ontario

Dear Upset,

I'm heartbroken to hear of your plight. Have these people not heard of the likes of Helen Keller and Stephen Hawking who have produced great works and thoughts in spite of their debilitating problems?

My advice is to pay attention to government of Ontario job postings. The government regularly requires contract photographers and staff photographers to help them create marketing materials, particularly for tourism. Once you find these job postings, be sure to apply for the jobs via registered mail (so they can't claim they didn't receive your application), and also be sure to mention your visual impairment.

If these unenlightened bigots have the temerity to overlook the brilliance of the work you've submitted, you can take copies of your applications and the registered mail receipts to the Ontario Human Rights Commission and complain that you are being discriminated against on the basis of your disability. After all, it's not like you're applying to drive a bus or for some position where your disability would endanger other citizens, so there are no adequate grounds for not considering you for employment. Don't be surprised when the government is ordered to hire you by a human rights tribunal a year or two down the road and you get a large cash settlement to go with it.

Ta.

The Scold
--
Need advice? E-mail your questions to:
askthescold [at] gmail [dot] com

No comments: