Friday, April 25, 2008

Hiding in plain sight

Dear Scold

I am a secret operative with my country's national defense. My job has been to provide intel on activities of the Enemies of the State. Recently, the blogspots have been blocked by our Human Resources people to shield us from all that hate speech.

Who am I supposed to investigate now? How can I post comments to evaluate potential thought crimes of the State's enemies? How will I investigate operatives from other departments who are posting on blogs? How will I investigate the best shopping deals on T-Shirts, these enemies are talking about? Is there a way government employees can access the internet without going through the department's IP router system? Is there a way I can hide my tracks ?

If I have to get up from my desk and go out and actually meet people, what is the proper protocol for padding my expense account?

Secretly,

[name cloaked]
Logged IP: 70.48.181.203


Dear Ms. Hechme,

The best way to circumvent the blogspot prohibition is to [redacted]. You'll find this [redacted] your routers and you [redacted] for [redacted]. Unsecured wireless access points are [redacted] when your notebook computer is properly configured.

Now, I would never advise padding one's government expense account. That's highly improper and gives the general public the wrong idea about civil servants. That being said, there's nothing technically wrong with supplementing your expense account with additional income. This best done by [redacted] Italian restaurants [redacted] brown paper envelopes. Please contact your local Liberal Party of Canada riding association if you need detailed instructions.

Ta.

The Scold
--
[redacted]? Send your [redacted] to:
[redacted] [at] [redacted] [dot] com

No comments: